Mex Insur FAQ's

Why do I need a Mexican Insurance?

Mexican insurance is not mandatory for you to travel into the immediate cities and towns along the U.S./Mexico border, but in the event that you are involved in an automobile accident, a Mexican Insurance policy greatly reduces the chances of being detained or put in jail in Mexico, while also limiting the financial burden you might face after an accident. There are basically only two ways to solve this: to pay all damages on the spot in cash ( which we do not suggest) or you can prove your financial liability by presenting a Mexican Insurance policy”e;. Please note, however, that Mexican insurance is not “diplomatic immunity.” An accident in Mexico may still be determined to be a felony. U.S. or any other non-Mexican insurance does not cover your liability for potential accidents, nor does it fulfill the basic requirement of insurance or proof of financial responsibility.

Will my U.S. or Canada Insurance cover me in Mexico?

Policies from U.S. and all other non-Mexican Insurance companies are not considered proof of financial responsibility. While a few major U.S. Insurance Companies cover damages to your own vehicle in Mexico up to a small distance south of the border (usually no more than 25 miles), they do not cover damages to other parties. This is why any U.S. policy must be accompanied by at minimum, a Liability Only policy from a Mexican Insurance Company.

What information is needed to complete a policy?

You will want to have your driver’s license, current registration, and domestic proof of insurance at hand. If you would like collision, fire and theft coverage, you will need the lienholder’s contact information (if applicable). You may purchase your insurance with AMEX, Visa , MasterCard, Discover and by Pay Pal System.

What if my vehicle has two registered owners or a driver who does not own the vehicle?

Your Mexican Insurance policy does not require that all of the owners or drivers of the vehicle be listed on the policy face. Any driver must have a valid driver’s license.

What happens if we have an accident in Mexico? What shall we do? How do we follow up?

If you have an accident in Mexico, immediately call the 01-800 number included in the claims instructions page, which is part of your policy. The adjusters of ANA Seguros will respond immediately to the scene and provide further instructions based on your specific situation.

Does my Mexican Insurance cover traffic fines in Mexico?

Traffic fines and vehicle impound fees are NOT covered. It is the responsibility of each driver to obey regulations.

I do not speak Spanish. What happens if I get involved in an accident?

ANA’s personnel in the claims department are fluent in both Spanish and English